“The knower of the mystery of sound knows the mystery of the whole universe.” ~Hazrat Inayat Khan, Sufi teacher~
The word yoga originates from the Sanskrit root yuj, meaning to yoke and symbolizes the wholeness that occurs when the “ego” of the individual is joined or yoked with the cosmic or infinite universe. Yoga also means path and there are many steps and aspects to the yogic path. Hatha yoga – the yoga most widely known and practiced in the west is the yoga that combines body postures, breathing and meditation practices and guidelines for spiritual living.
Nada Yoga is union through sound. Nada Yoga utilizes the energy of sound to invoke spiritual power to create union of the body, mind and spirit. The practice of nada yoga involves the use of music, vocal toning and verbal or silent repetition of sacred sound formulas known as mantra. The practice of Nada Yoga alone is a path to Oneness and will enhance other types of yoga practice such as Hatha Yoga. This practice increases the flow of our life energy, known as prana, to create healing at all levels; from the subtle energy body, to the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. The practice of nada yoga assists in attaining a sense of inner peace and well-being and assists in decreasing stress and expanded states of consciousness.
Benefits of Nada Yoga
- Brings harmony to the emotions and allows recognition of unresolved emotions.
- Assists in dislodging unresolved energy in subtle energy body to optimize the flow of life energy known as prana or chi.
- Brings balance to both hemispheres of the brain which can decrease stress, create relaxation and improve sleep.
- Stimulates the production of endorphins and reduces the production of stress hormones.
- Increases confidence in self-expression and in using the voice.
- Enhances the ability to remain clear and focused in an over-stimulated society.
- Encourages balance of the “masculine” and “feminine” aspects within ourselves.
- Facilitates “whole body ”listening through increasing our auditory perception.
- Expands consciousness and facilitates the ability to reach altered states of consciousness.
- Boosts intuition and self-awareness.
- Is said to change all levels of karma: past, present and future karma.
- Allows an awareness of “being” rather than “doing” to decrease a sense of isolation and increase a sense of unity and innate connection with the Divine.